Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Most Unprofessional Manager: Kevin Lawrence

Kevin Lawrence is the most unprofessional manager in JSI Telecom I had ever met.
I really want to know how this guy got to be a manager?

The very first day I started thinking of leaving. I was given an assignment and I realized very quickly that I was not going to receive any mentoring or support.

Of course, many managers are so busy or preoccupied that they wouldn't even notice if their employees walked around wearing sandwich boards saying, "Trying to Change Things!" or "Staying and Becoming Less Engaged Every Day!" — or whatever step in the disengagement process they happen to be on at the time.

Not that it's only the manager's responsibility to take the initiative in this process—employees also need to understand they have a singular responsibility to find ways of addressing their concerns and re-engaging themselves in the workplace.

But many managers are just too slow to observe the telltale signs of employee disengagement until it's too late to do anything about it.

The obvious early warning signs of disengagement are absenteeism, tardiness, or behavior that indicates withdrawal or increased negativity. It is also useful to know that these early signs of disengagement typically start showing up after a shocking or jarring event takes place that causes the employee to question his or her commitment.

My manager, Kevin Lawrence, was not a good mentor or coach. He was just coasting to CEO position, but he was moody and unprofessional. And then one day he yelled at me. I went to his manager about it, but he just excused his behavior, saying "that's just the way he is." That was the last straw for me."

I felt Kevin Lawrence didn't seek my input or recognize my contributions. Then, the work started becoming more administrative than technical. I felt like I was just shuffling papers and not designing anything. That's when I started looking elsewhere, and a coworker referred me to the company I now work for.

This guy needs to go.

PS:
Some quit and leave ... others quit and stay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home